Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Children and The Talk

I was thinking while driving home from work this morning about how my herpes would effect my children if I actually have some one day.
Yes if I have any I will have a C-section because of the risks of a vaginal birth with herpes. But I mean will it effect them in other ways?
Theres no reason they would ever have to know. Aside from the actual delivery it doesn't have to effect them. I think though I would rather be open with them and tell them at the same time I have the sex/ puberty talk with them. I think 10 11 12 are about the ages I would consider having that talk with them.
I decided this when my mother and I had to give the talk to my neice and newphew at 9 and 11 because their mother didn't know what to say. From hearing that many wouldn't be surprised to find out my nephew at 13 got a girl pregnant. I won't bitch about what my views are on my brother's ex-wife's lack of common sense though.
I am hoping unlike my nephew, knowing a parent has dealt with something like an STD would make my own child realize that I might be a little more then wise when I tell them that sex isn't a game. I don't mind using some of the graphic images I came across when I first was told I had herpes. Those would have scared me into virginity in a second. ( I went to catholic school so I never got to see such things)
Also in my own openness I hope they feel that they can come to me with any problem sex-related or not. I believe in open, clear communication with kids because I think they are smarter then adults give them credit for. They will figure things out on their own. If you don't talk to them who knows what skewed information they might come up with. I was a smart intuitive kid I know if I have them my kids will be the same.
That is years away, I hope. Right now it scares me to think about raising a child. I just got my own life together, so excuse me for being selfish but, no kids for the near future.

No comments: